Deebot N7 vs N8 Comparison Review
Back in March this year, ECOVACS released two new robot vacuums, the Deebot N7 and N8, a line of all-in-one vacuuming and mopping robots. If you want a piece of this technology, the elephant in the room is, which is the best bang for the buck?
In this Deebot N7 vs. N8 comparison review, find out which is the best Deebot to buy and why. But before we go into the details, here is an overview of the brand and the two models in today’s discussion.
Is ECOVACS Deebot a Good Brand?
While in the past Deebot vacuums couldn’t match the big boys in the industry, such as Roomba, Neato, Dyson, and the rest, the Chinese brand has invested heavily in R&D. Today, ECOVACS rubs shoulders with the big names from all angles, be it in terms of cleaning performance, battery and runtime, navigation and mapping, and even smart features.
Founded in 1998, ECOVACS is among the household names in the robot vacuums industry. The company manufactures a wide range of consumer products, including the Deebot line of robot vacuums and the Winbot line of window cleaners.
Last update on 2023-12-08 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
The Deebot N8 is the most prominent series in the new Deebot lineup. For the record, the base model, Deebot N8, is not available on Amazon. Instead, the Chinese brand has supplied the American market with the Deebot N8 Pro and Deebot N8 Pro+. These are the models that will feature in this review.
The difference between the Deebot N8 Pro vs. N8 Pro+ is the accessories supplied. We will discuss this in detail later on.
Deebot N7 vs. N8 Pro+ Comparison Review
In this segment, we will compare the Deebot N7 vs. N8 based on the important factors that buyers should consider when looking for the best robot vacuum. These include the design, dimensions and aesthetics, cleaning performance, battery and runtime, navigation and mapping, and lastly, the smart features and convenience. So, without further ado, let’s get into it.
1. Design and Aesthetics
A good robot vacuum should have a low profile design to ensure it gets under all low profile furniture such as beds, kickstands, sofas, and other tight spots where dust and dirt hide. When it comes to aesthetics, you should tell the difference between the two models from how they look. What’s more? Some buyers have color preferences.
- Deebot N7 Design and Aesthetics
The Deebot N7 comes with a round-shaped design. When it comes to the dimensions and weight, it measures 13 x 13 x 3.1 inches and weighs 8.25lbs. These are the dimensions and weight of the actual robot vacuum and not the package. When it comes to aesthetics, the N7 is available in white. The top interface has a raised turret and a single power button.
- Deebot N8 Design and Aesthetics
The two Deebot robots in the N8 series are all similar when it comes to design, dimensions, and weight when it comes to the actual robots. The two robot vacuums are round-shaped. They measure 13 x 13 x 3.1 inches and weigh 8.2lbs. As for the finish, they are available in two color options; black or white and come with a raised turret at the top interface and a single power button. For the record, the N8 Pro+ is bulkier because of the inclusion of the self-empty base.
2. Cleaning Performance
The cleaning performance of these two robot vacuums is the most important consideration. We are going to assess the individual cleaning components before sharing our exclusive cleaning test results.
(a) Deebot N7 vs N8 – Orientation
Robot vacuums are highly specialized. So, when shopping, make sure the vacuum you purchase is designed to suit your cleaning needs. There are robot vacuums for pet hair, vacuums for bare floors, carpets, and so on.
The Deebot N8 is not in any way different from the Deebot N7 in terms of orientation. This model, too, is a 2-in-1 robot vacuum that vacuums and mops simultaneously. When it comes to specialization, it’s also ideal for all types of bare floors, all carpets and rugs, and homes with pets.
(b) Deebot N8 vs N7 – Suction Power
Like in all types of vacuum cleaners, suction power is fundamental. The best robot vacuum should have high suction power and adjustable suction levels. So, how do these two Deebot robot vacuums compare?
On the other hand, the Deebot N8 has a powerful motor that takes suction power a notch higher. The high-performance motor with auto and manual power adjustment can put up a whopping 2,600pa when the high power mode for carpets (Max+) is activated.
(c) Deebot N8 vs N7 – Brush System
Under robot vacuums, we have a set of brushes. There is a primary brushroll assisted by side sweeping brushes. A good robot vacuum should have both brushes and an adjustable cleaning head for maximum contact with the surface the robot is cleaning, be it bare floors or carpets.
- The Deebot N7 comes with an adjustable cleaning head. When it comes to agitation, there is a dual bristle and rubberized paddle spiral brushroll that does a good job scrubbing stuck-on dirt and picking up pet hair. Unfortunately, it gets tangled when dealing with long dog hair. The main brush is complemented by a pair of side sweeping brushes that sweep the deep corners and wall edges, directing dirt to the main brush.
- When it comes to the Deebot N8 Pro and N8 Pro+, there is not much difference as it also relies on the main brush and side sweeping brush for agitation and dirt pickup. ECOVACS designed the N8 with the same dual bristle and rubberized paddle spiral brushroll that agitates and picks up dirt effectively, but it still gets tangled when handling long dog hair. On the side, there are two spinning brushes for sweeping the wall edges and corners.
(d) Deebot N8 vs N7 – Filtration System
The filtration system incorporates the filters for air purification and the bin. But considering automatic self-emptying is a technology ECOVACS has also dived into, we will also be assessing this innovation and how the Chinese brand has adopted it.
- The Deebot N7 has been engineered with a 3-layer dust filtration system that captures 99% of microparticles, including dust, pollen, and dander. Unfortunately, these are not HEPA grade filters as they filter down to 0.6 microns while true HEPA filters filter down to 0.3 microns. The washable bin has a 0.42L capacity. Unfortunately, the N7 is not a self-emptying robot vacuum, so you will have to empty the bin after each cleaning session manually.
- As for the Deebot N8 series (N8 Pro and N8 Pro+), the filtration system has been revamped. The company designed these two robot vacuums with high-efficiency filters that capture 99% of microparticles, including dust, allergens, and pollen. Unlike the N7 that filters down to 0.6 microns, the N8’s triple filter system can filter down to 0.25 microns, making it the best deal for homes with pets and allergy sufferers. When it comes to the onboard bin, the N8 Pro and N8 Pro+ both come with a 0.42L bin.
Interestingly, both models support automatic self-emptying, but then, only the N8 Pro+ comes with the Auto-Empty Station that has a 2.5L capacity, enough to hold up to a month’s dirt. The N8 Pro doesn’t include the Auto-Empty Station. The good news is that you can purchase the N8 Pro and buy the Auto-Empty Station later on.
(e) Deebot N8 vs N7 – Wet and Dry Mopping
As mentioned earlier, these two vacuums offer vacuuming and mopping simultaneously. So, how do the mopping features compare? Let’s find out.
The Deebot N8 Pro and N8 Pro+ are the same as Deebiot N7. These too offer dry and wet mopping. The robot also uses the OZMO Mopping System, which guarantees efficient water usage. The 0.24L tank also uses the OZMO Electronically Controlled Water Pump to avoid leaks and over-wetting fragile floors such as hardwood.
For the record, the N8 Pro and N8 Pro+ come with four water adjustment levels for customized cleaning.
(e) Deebot N7 vs N8 – Cleaning Tests
Now that we have discussed all that pertains cleaning, it’s time we shared our exclusive cleaning test results to give you a glimpse of how these two vacuums perform in a real household setting. We tested the two Deebots on both bare floors and carpets using the common household dirt, talk of flour, sand, rice, sugar, cheerios, kitty litter, pet hair, and smears of honey, margarine, pet urine stains, and porridge.
3. Deebot N8 vs N7 – Battery and Runtime
As you may be aware, robot vacuums are cordless cleaners meaning they come with onboard rechargeable batteries. Now, these batteries are built with different technologies and may have different runtime and power management options. When looking for the best robot vacuum, go for lithium-ion batteries as they hold more charge and withstand hundreds of recharges without losing their stability. Besides battery technology, go for a higher capacity battery and a robot vacuum with convenient power management options.
The two Deebot N8 series models in this comparison review come with the same battery technology and battery capacity as the Deebot N7’s.
This is the same 3,200mAh lithium-ion battery that offers 110 minutes runtime when in low power mode (Standard) and an average of 60 minutes when in high power mode (Max+).
As for power management, the Deebot N8 Pro and N8 Pro+ will dock for recharge when the power levels are low and resume cleaning after that automatically.
4. Deebot N8 vs N7 – Navigation and Mapping
While cleaning performance is an integral aspect of choosing the best Deebot vacuum, navigation and mapping are also important aspects. This is because the navigation and mapping system determines where the robot vacuum will reach and, importantly, the cleaning efficiency.
In this segment, we have analyzed three important aspects of navigation and mapping. These include how the robot vacuum finds its way around your home, how it scans and maps the floor, and, lastly, containment. If you have a high-traffic room or a large apartment, navigation and mapping is a very important consideration. So how does the navigation and mapping system of the Deebot N7 compare to that of the Deebot N8?
- Deebot N7 Navigation and Mapping
The Deebot N7’s navigation is based on the Simultaneous Localization and Mapping (SLAM) algorithm, dubbed Smart Navi 3.0. This LIDAR navigation system uses sensors for obstacle detection to avoid any accidents in your home. There are also a set of sensors that detect any falls on the stairs.
The N7 also creates efficient cleaning paths courtesy of Smart Navi 3.0 LIDAR navigation when it comes to floor scanning and mapping. The system creates accurate interactive maps of the floor level of your apartment or house. This helps homeowners plan for customized cleaning, whether it’s during the day or at night in the dark. For the record, the N7 cleans in a systematic pattern ensuring entire level cleaning.
When it comes to boundary marking, the Deebot ditched the physical boundary marking strips in favor of virtual boundaries. To contain the robot vacuum, you can draw unlimited no-go zones right from the mobile app.
- Deebot N8 Navigation and Mapping
The Deebot N8 Pro and N8 Pro+ are much more advanced in navigation and mapping. When it comes to navigation, these two robot vacuums come with ECOVACS’ cutting-edge TrueDetect 3D technology, which boasts millimeter-level detection accuracy so you won’t have to worry about the robot hitting accidents or falling off the stairs. Courtesy of dToF Laser Detection, an aerospace-standard detection technology, the robot vacuum can detect double distance and has four-fold precision in obstacle detection.
As for floor mapping, this robot vacuum uses TrueMapping technology that maps homes with 2X coverage and 4x accuracy to guarantee entire level cleaning regardless of the size of your apartment or house. What’s more? Advanced map management enables homeowners to send the robot to any designated area of their home, be it a specific room or a specific spot in a particular room. Interestingly, you can scan and map different levels of your home. When it comes to containment, the N8 supports unlimited Virtual Walls.
5. Smart Features and Convenience
In this smart home era, you want a smart home robot vacuum cleaner. The good thing is that the new Deebot robot vacuums are smart. But then, the features and convenience vary from one model to another. In this last segment of this Deebot N7 vs. N8 comparison review, find out how the two models compare in terms of smart features and convenience.
Deebot N8 Smart Features
The Deebot N8 Pro and N8 Pro+ are smart robot vacuums that support remote app operation and smart home integration.
But then, the N8 series robot vacuums have advanced app features besides the basic ones that the N7 comes with. First, you get the upgraded customized cleaning features that allow you to divide, or merge areas, label each room, and create multiple maps.
What’s more? You can draw designated areas that need more attention when cleaning. When it comes to smart home integration, the N8 Pro and N8 Pro+ can sync with Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa for hands-free operation.
Why Buy the Deebot N8
- First, the N8 offers better cleaning despite both being 2-in-1 robot vacuum cleaners. This is because the N8 series vacuums deliver higher suction, 2,600pa to be precise, while the N7 delivers 2,300pa. This is why the N8 is a better deal for carpets. Another great feature of the N8 is the high-efficiency filters that filter down to 0.25 microns while the N7 filters down to 0.6 microns.
- Second, the Deebot N8 is a self-emptying robot vacuum. Both vacuums in the N8 series work with ECOVACS Auto-Empty Station that automatically empties the bin after each cleaning session. The 2.5L bin capacity allows it to empty up to a month’s dirt, so you won’t have to worry about emptying the bin manually every day. For the record, the N8 Pro doesn’t include the Auto Empty Station, but the N8 Pro Plus comes with the Auto Empty Station.
- The other reason why the N8 is superior is the advanced navigation and mapping system. The N7 uses Smart Navi 3.0, a LIDAR-based navigation system that is not as accurate and precise as the N8’s navigation system that uses TrueDetect 3D technology, dToF Laser Detection, and TrueMapping technology.
Why But the Deebot D7
- While the N8 is the superior model in this comparison review, the N7 is still worth the money. If you don’t need the bells and whistles that the N8 comes with, you can settle for the N7. It is affordable and comes with all the essential features, including 2-in-1 cleaning, app automation, smart home integration, 110 minutes runtime plus recharge and resume, and a low profile design.
There you have it, folks, a detailed comparison of the Deebot N7 vs. N8. As you have seen, these two robot vacuums from ECOVACS share several features, but ultimately, the N8 is superior. If you have the budget, go for the N8 Pro+ as it comes with the Auto Empty Station. But you can still purchase the N8 Pro and later on upgrade by buying the Auto Empty Station separately.