Bissell 1940 vs. 1940w vs. 1940a vs. 19404
If you are looking for the best Bissell steam mop, you have one in the Bissell PowerFresh® Steam Mop Hard Floor Steam Cleaner. But then, choosing the best model for you isn’t a walk in the park as there exist several variants.
Bissel Cyber Monday Sales 2020
A study by Charles Gerba, a microbiologist from the University of Arizona, showed that E. coli and Coliform contaminated 27%, and 96% of shoes tested. These two are common culprits when it comes to gastrointestinal disorders.
So, beyond just vacuuming and mopping, you should also think of sanitizing floors to kill all these bacteria.
Bissell 1940 vs. 1940w vs. 1940a vs. 19404 Round-Up
- Design – All Bissell PowerFresh Steam Mops bear the same design, dimensions, and even weight.
- Cleaning Performance – All the variants have the same cleaning features and performance. The cleaning results are also the same, under the same conditions.
- Usability – Maneuverability, handling, ergonomics, controls, and maintenance are all the same.
- Fragrance Discs – Some models come with Odor Eliminating Fragrance Discs while others come with Spring Breeze Fragrance Discs
- Aesthetics – Bissell PowerFresh steam mops come in several color options, including blue, purple, and orange.
- Price – Prices of these steam mops vary depending on the model, and also the retail outlet.
- Availability – You won’t find all these models at your retailer. There are specific models available for specific markets.
This cleaner has been designed for sealed floors and does a great job of picking up dirt, including pet hair, as well as wiping the stains and grime.
It features a simple, compact, and ergonomic design. Available in a range of color options, and fragrance discs, it’s the perfect addition to your cleaning armory.
Some of the highlights of this steam mop include Swivel Technology, Flip Down Easy Scrubber Brush, SmartSet Digital Steam Control, and 30-Second Heater Warm-Up Time.
Why we like it – The Bissell PowerFresh® Steam Mop is very affordable and guarantees that your floors are not only free from the visible dirt, but also the unseen germs and bacteria. Above all, it lives up to the name “PowerFresh” courtesy of its range of odor elimination and scented fragrances. With active scrubbing, it cleans dried spots and sticky messes two times faster than your average steam mop.
- Lightweight and ergonomic
- 2-in-1 cleaning (mop & sanitize)
- No chemicals involved
- Optional scrubber
- Variable steam control
- Short cord
- No storage hook
- No automatic wind
Bissell 1940 vs. 1940w vs. 1940a vs. 19404 Face to Face Comparison
Now that we know several important things regarding Bissell’s mop steamer, it’s time we compare what each variant offers. We are going to discuss the features, performance, and everything buyers need to be aware of before committing to any of the above steam mops.
1. Design and Aesthetics
When it comes to the design, there is no difference between the different Bissell PowerFresh steam mops.
They all sport that upright vacuum design, with the handle, main unit, and below, the cleaning head, but this time with a steamer. As far as the dimensions are concerned, this steam mop stands at 28.6 inches, and the cleaning head stretches to 11.6-inches.
While the design is similar, there is a difference in aesthetics.
Bissell 1940 and 1940a is blue/white, while the Bissell 1940w is orange and white. There’s also the Bissell 19404, which is purple/white. So far, these are the colors we have come across.
2. Accessories Included
One of the areas these steam mops differ on is the accessories included, just like Bissell does with its vacuums from the same series. In this section, we will be discussing the accessories that these steam mops use, and reveal what model comes with which accessory. So without further ado, here are all the Bissell PowerFresh accessories.
These are used to clean the floors, and two are included with all the PowerFresh steam mops.
- One of them is a soft pad for the fragile hard floors, with minimal dirt, and are both reusable. Use this for the daily cleaning, when there are no stains and grime.
- On the other hand, there is the Microfiber Scrubby Pad, and this comes in handy when dealing with stains, grime, and other sticky messes. The two have an elastic band to ensure they remain on the cleaning head.
As the name suggests, this is an extension that is attached to the bottom of the steam mop to enable smooth gliding on carpets like shag, Flokati, and other high pile carpets when steam cleaning.
All the Bissell PowerFresh steam mops come with the carpet glider.
Odor Eliminating scent discs
As the name suggests, these are pellets which are put inside the pads, and as the unit mops, and steams, the tablets dissolve, and the harmful odor-killing elements are released to the atmosphere. These pellets come with the Bissell 1940/1940w/1940a.
Spring breeze fragrance discs
These are the same as the odor eliminating scent discs, bit they arouse that spring atmosphere – in other words, they are flavored.
The Spring Breeze Fragrance Discs come with the Bissell 19404. There is no variety here, but you can choose from a range of scented floor cleaning solutions, which you mix with the water in the tank.
3. Cleaning Performance
This is the most important consideration when buying any cleaner; a steam mop is no exception. There are several things to consider here, including the cleaning orientation, power, steam function, tank, and of course, our exclusive cleaning test results.
The Bissell PowerFresh 1940/1940a/1940w/19404 and all the other variants are all steam mops. They are designed to steam and mop simultaneously all kinds of sealed floors, including linoleum, tile, ceramic, hardwood, e.t.c.
You can also use this unit to steam your carpet.
Steam and mop
This 1500 watts steamer is so efficient that it takes just 30 seconds, and you are ready to take on the germs and bacteria.
There are three steam modes, depending on your cleaning needs.
You can choose low steam, medium steam, or high steam for deep sanitization. Once the steam is ready, there is a light indicator to notify you.
When it comes to mopping, there is a low profile mop head with detachable mop pads that can be fixed firmly during operation using elastic bands. Worth noting is the optional scrubbing brush at the rear of the cleaning head. It can be flipped down to remove those stubborn stains and grime.
Mopping and steaming rely on a 15 oz water tank that is enough to offer an hour of steam mopping. This is quite disappointing, but the advantage is you can fill it even when the steamer is working. This tank is detachable and very easy to fill on different types of faucets.
Test results / Our Rating
As usual, we do thorough tests on all the cleaning appliances we test.
For the Bissell 1940 vs. 1940w vs. 1940a vs. 19404 comparison review, we tested just one model as all of them have the same cleaning performance.
Now, our tests were conducted on a sealed hardwood floor and tile.
We used some of the common household sticky messes; talk of honey, cooking oil, raw eggs, soda, pet urine, and sugar. For all the dirt, we let it stain the area for two hours before we brought in the PowerFresh.
We also let loose a Roomba’s CleanBase unit full of pet hair, which was producing a foul odor, that triggered my allergy. Unfortunately, we couldn’t measure the performance of the steamer, but from the temperatures at high steam mode, you can tell that it’s a kicker!
So, how did the PowerFresh perform? Below is a chart that shows our inhouse ratings for every test.
As you can see, this steam mop does a great job wiping the less sticky messes like pet urine stains, soda, and water. However, for the sticky messes, it struggled a bit, but within two to three passes, the floor remained clean. We also noticed impressive performance when it comes to cleaning the oily messes courtesy of the hot steam.
Just like upright vacuum cleaners and many other appliances, the Bissell PowerFresh steam mop comes in parts, so you will need to assemble it. All you need is to snap the two main units and screw the handle into the main unit, and that’s it. This is a simple process that shouldn’t take you more than five minutes. Plus, there are lots of useful resources and guides online, alongside the instructions manual provided.
You will also notice the specially designed Strain Reliever Handle with rubber grip for improved ergonomics.
Next up is the controls, and here, we are looking at the cool SmartSet Digital Steam Control, which features three buttons for the three steam level modes. We really like how easy and straightforward the buttons and LEDs are, but the placement isn’t the best. The control panel is on the main body and not on the handle, so you have no access to controls from the handle.
When it comes to maneuverability, the Bissell PowerFresh excels courtesy of the lightweight design and the Swivel Cleaning Technology.
The unit measures just 6lbs, and besides, the swivel cleaning head makes turning effortless so that you can reach those tight spots, under beds, sofas, kickstands, and baseboards.
The unit can rotate to a maximum of 270 degrees. In fact, the Bissell PowerFresh can lay flat. When it comes to pushing, it feels a little jammed, but once the steamer starts pumping, everything loosens up.
But while the maneuverability is exceptional, we feel the 23 ft cord is quite mean for cleaning those large apartments. Also, a feature like automatic cord rewind would be an invaluable addition. But all the same, you will benefit from the quick-release cord wraps when unwinding the cord.
5. Aftersales, Maintenance
Bissell PowerFresh steam mops are available at both online and offline stores. But as always, we recommend online stores because of the competitive prices. Also, the convenience of delivery is fantastic. Replacement parts and supplies are also available at affordable prices.
Next up is the warranty and terms, and as usual, Bissell is that generous brand. The Bissell 1940, 1940a, 1940w, and all the others tag along with a two-year warranty.
Make sure to read and understand the warranty terms, and always use your cleaner appropriately.
Last is on maintenance, and here, you need to be aware of the short term and long term maintenances.
- The short term routine includes filling the water tank and cleaning the pads. Take advantage of the Quick Release Grip Tab if you don’t want to come into contact with the dirty pad when you’re done cleaning. Lastly, ensure the unit is put away safely, despite lacking a hanging hook.
- In the long-term, you will need to replace the Pet Odor, Eliminating Scent Discs for Steam, Microfiber Mop Pads, Steam Mop Pads, Scrubby Mop Pads, and broken parts if need be. The pads last between 3 – 5 months depending on usage. Always inspect them and look out for signs of wear.
Bissell 1940 vs. 1940w vs. 1940a vs. 19404
And that’s it, a Bissell PowerFresh steam mop comparison review.
- As you have seen, all these models are the same, only that there are several color variants.
- Also, the supplies are different. Some models include odor elimination fragrance discs, while others have spring fragrance discs. This is not such a big difference as either fragrance discs are available for purchase anytime.
- You will also notice that not all models are readily available. At the moment, you can get the Bissell PowerFresh 1940, 1940w, and 1940a on most online retailers, including Amazon.
Bissell PowerFresh® Steam Mop vs the Competition
In this section, we want to find out which are some of the alternatives to Bissell PowerFresh. Below is a summary of their comparisons.
Before the coming of the Bissell PowerFresh 1806, it’s the Bissell 1806 that was the talk of the town.
The two steam mops share several features.
- First, they are both steam mops with the same upright design. There’s the handle at the top, main unit in the middle, and a low profile cleaning head at the bottom.
- The steam mop has the same mopping performance, and so are the mopping pads.
However, there exist several differences between these two models.
- First, the 1940 has a 3 level steam control (low, mid, and high) while the 1806 has a 2 level steam control (low, and high).
- Also, the new steam mop has a removable water tank, but its predecessor had a non-detachable tank.
- Last, the 1806 comes with a Spoh and a 25 ft cord while the 1940 has a 23ft cord.
Make sure to check out our detailed Bissell 1940 vs. 1806 comparison review for the clear picture.
Should you Buy Bissell 1940/1940w/1940a/19404?
Now, we have come to the end of this Bissell PowerFresh comparison review.
So, the big question is, should you buy the Bissell 1940? Well, that’s a decision you will have to make. For us, we can only give you some shopping advice.
Buy the Bissell PowerFresh if you want a steam mop as opposed to a traditional mop. Of course, the extra sanitization function guarantees better and deeper clean for a healthy family.
Remember, this is a steam mop only, so we assume that you have an upright vacuum.
If that sounds too expensive, then you might consider something like the Bissell Symphony All-in-One, which is a vacuum mop with steamer. And that’s it for today. Make sure to sign up for our price drop alerts, and we” ping you whenever there are Bissell PowerFresh 1940 deals and discounts.
Frequently Asked Questions
How does Bissell 19404 cope with pet messes?