Eureka vs. Bissell Comparison Review
If you are looking for the best upright vacuum that will make your life with pets easier, Eureka and Bissell are two of the best brands on the market, especially if you are on a budget.
In this Eureka vs. Bissell comparison review, we have sampled two of the most popular models: Bissell Cleanview Swivel Pet Upright Bagless Vacuum Cleaner 2252 and Eureka PowerSpeed Lightweight Powerful Pet Upright Vacuum NEU280.
Find out how they compare, and importantly, what model will be best for you. But before we dive into the face-to-face comparison, here is an overview of the two brands and the respective models in this review.
Is Eureka a Good Brand?
Established in 1909, Eureka is among the brands run by renowned Chinese conglomerate Midea Group. Headquartered in Medford, Massachusetts, United States, Eureka boasts a full line of vacuum cleaners, including canisters, upright vacuums, stick vacuums, handhelds, and cordless vacuums.
Eureka PowerSpeed Series
One of the most popular upright vacuums from Eureka is the PowerSpeed series. There are several models in the Eureka PowerSpeed lineup, including the PowerSpeed NEU182A, PowerSpeed Pet NEU181, PowerSpeed Turbo Spotlight NEU188A, PowerSpeed No Loss of Suction NEU280, and PowerSpeed Cord Rewind NEU202. All these models are available on Amazon and are among the best sellers.
For this review, we chose the Eureka PowerSpeed No Loss of Suction NEU280, a new model. It is the best bang for the buck in the entire Eureka PowerSpeed series. The NEU280 is the perfect match that can rival Bissell 2252.
Is Bissell a Good Brand?
Also known as Bissell Homecare, Bissell is a top brand started in 1876. The company offers a wide variety of floor cleaning solutions ranging from carpet cleaners, vacuum cleaners, steam cleaners, wet and dry vacuum, spin mops, and floorcare products.
Bissell CleanView Series
The Bissell CleanWave is one of the most popular vacuums of the American brand. There are several models in this series, including Bissell CleanView 2486, Bissell CleanView 2316, Bissell CleanView 2487, Bissell CleanView 2492, Bissell CleanView 95957, Bissell CleanView 1825, Bissell CleanView 22543, Bissell CleanView 2489, Bissell CleanView 1831, Bissell CleanView 9595A, and Bissell CleanView 2252. Unfortunately, you won’t find all these variants on Amazon.
For this review, we settled on the Bissell CleanWave 2252, which is a bestseller on Amazon. It is affordably priced and has all the features ideal for handling pet messes.
Eureka vs. Bissell Face to Face Comparison Review
Now that we know a thing or two about the two brands and the models in this comparison review, let’s get to the main business, comparing Bissell 2252 vs. Eureka PowerSpeed NEU280. To ensure that you make the best purchase decision, we have compared these two models based on the factors buyers should consider when choosing the best upright vacuum.
1. Design and Aesthetics
When choosing an upright vacuum, the design, dimensions, and weight are important considerations. As for aesthetics, there is not much related to cleaning performance or usability, but some buyers have color and style preferences. So, how does the Bissell 2252 compare to Eureka NEU280?
- The Bissell 2252 is a full-size upright vacuum measuring 13 x 14 x 44.5 inches. Regarding the weight, 2252 is just 14.5 pounds. The vacuum boasts a sleek and stylish design finished black purple and chacha lime. For the record, the bin is clear.
- The Eureka NEU280 is also a full upright vacuum with almost the same dimensions as that of Bissell. It measures 13.4 x 13.78 x 44.5 inches. As for the weight, it is a little bit lighter than Bissell at 11.5 pounds. The Eureka PowerSpeed also has an appealing design finished in blue and black with a clear dustbin.
2. What’s in the Box?
It’s very important to ascertain the accessories that come with the vacuum cleaner you are about to purchase. The more the tools and attachments, the better. In this segment, find out what you should expect to get in the box of the Bissell and Eureka vacuums.
Eureka NEU280: Accessories
- Quick-Release Handle
- Stretch Hose
- 7-inch Crevice Tool
- Dusting Brush
- Upholstery Tool
Unless you are a handyman, you should always be worried about the assembly of your upright vacuum. Find out the assembly requirements of the two upright vacuums. Which one is easy to assemble?
- The Bissell 2252 requires assembly, but it’s not such a complex process. You will first need a screwdriver. Start the assembly by pushing the handle into the base until you hear a click sound. Then, use the supplied screws and screwdriver to secure the handle. Then insert the lower cord wrap and turn it to lap into its secure place. Next, place the end of the vacuum hose into the vacuum, then turn it clockwise to secure it before wrapping the hose around the hose wrap, and then fix it into the vacuum base. In the last step, put the accessory tools into the onboard storage.
- The Eureka PowerSpeed also requires a simple assembly. It’s also easy to assemble this vacuum, just like Bissel. Interestingly, Eureka offers toolless assembly. In the first step, attach the handle to the base. You should hear a clicking sound to know it is secure. Insert the hose and move it around the holder, and then slide it to the vacuum base and fix it in the vacuum port. Then, put all the attachments on the onboard storage.
4. Cleaning Performance
When buying any cleaner, the cleaning performance is the most critical consideration. In this segment, we have assessed several crucial factors pertaining to the cleaning performance of the two upright vacuums in this Bissell vs. Eureka comparison review.
Homeowners have different cleaning needs. In the same token, vacuums are designed to suit a variety of cleaning needs. What’s important is to match your cleaning needs with the right vacuum cleaner. So what are the Eureka PowerSpeed and Bissell CleanWave designed for?
- The Bissell 2252 has been designed for multi-surface cleaning. It can handle all types of bare floors, as well as carpets. What’s more? This vacuum is specialized for pet hair pickup. The Bissell CleanWave also has attachments that can help homeowners clean the ceiling, door frames, curtains, and even your car interior.
- The Eureka PowerSpeed is not very different from Bissell CleanWave in terms of cleaning orientation. This vacuum is also designed for multi-surface cleaning. You can rely on it to clean bare floors as well as carpets, including shag rugs. The vacuum also handles pet hair and other pet messes. Interestingly, you can also use it to clean those hard-to-reach areas, for example, ceilings, cupboards, stairs, curtains, door frames, and even your car’s interior.
(b) Cleaning Head
The cleaning head, the primary cleaning attachment, can be the deal maker or breaker. There are several factors to consider when assessing the perfect cleaning head for you. This section dissects aspects such as the cleaning head width, the brushroll, and its maintenance.
The Eureka No Loss Suction, on the other hand, comes with a 12.6-inch cleaning head. While it also offers edge-to-edge cleaning, the Bissell 2252 is better here.
Under the hood, it packs an ordinary bristled brush that also loosens, lifts, and removes dirt and debris in the same fashion as the Bissell CleanWave. It works efficiently on both bare floors as well as carpets. But then, expect it to tangle when it is handling the long dog hair. Its bristles are also a bit rough for fragile floors such as hardwood, especially when it’s new.
All the same, it is a worthy brushroll considering the affordable price of the unit.
(c) Cleaning Head Adjustment
To allow for multi-surface cleaning, it’s not just about the cleaning head, and the brushroll, the cleaning head’s adjustment also matters. A good vacuum should have an adjustable cleaning head to guarantee the appropriate contact with the surface it’s cleaning, be it bare floors, low pile carpets, medium pile, or high pile carpets and rugs.
The Eureka PowerSpeed also comes with a manually adjustable cleaning head, just like Bissell. Here also, you get 5-height settings adjustable via a dial located on the top interface of the cleaning head. You can adjust the cleaning head’s height depending on the surface you are cleaning to ensure maximum contact for vacuuming efficiency, and importantly, to prevent damage on the surface you are cleaning, especially fragile bare floors.
While the cleaning head is the primary cleaning attachments open up a whole new world of possibilities with your upright vacuum. This is as long as you go for a model that has the right attachments that you need. In this section, we will be stripping down all the tools and attachments that come with the Eureka PowerSpeed and the Bissell 2252.
As for the Eureka, you get a Crevice Tool for cleaning those hard-to-reach areas. It is 7-inches long.
The other tool you get with the Eureka PowerSpeed is an Upholstery Tool for cleaning a wide range of places where the cleaning head can’t reach. These include curtains, sofas, couches, car interior, door frames, etc.
Last is a dusting brush for general vacuuming dust on surfaces such as furniture, books, blinds, lamps, shelves, etc.
(e) Vacuum Power
Suction power is fundamental in vacuum cleaners. The higher the suction power, the more efficient cleaning you get. So, which vacuum between Eureka and Bissell has the best suction power?
- Bissell delivers excellent suction power courtesy of the Multi-Cyclonic Suction System that offers continuous suction power with no suction loss. Interestingly, the cyclonic system helps keep dirt in the container, far away from the motor and post-motor filter, thereby avoiding clogging. There is also a suction indicator that notifies users when there is a reduction in suction power, suggesting there is some clogging in the filters or the hose.
- Eureka also relies on an advanced cyclone system to guarantee powerful and continuous suction power to pick up both small and large dirt and debris. While the output is almost in the same range as Bissell CleanWave, the PowerSpeed doesn’t guarantee steady suction.
The filtration system is also an important consideration when looking for the best upright vacuum. Let’s find out the filters used in the two vacuums, the dust bin capacity, and maintenance requirements.
- Bissell comes with a multilevel filtration system that traps debris and dust. These filters are washable, making maintenance a buzz. When it comes to the dust bin, Bissell designed this vacuum with an easy-empty dirt tank. It has a 1.0-liter capacity.
- The Eureka PowerSpeed also comes with washable filters, so there are zero maintenance costs. As for the dustbin, this vacuum has the same easy empty XL dust cup for mess-free cleaning and emptying. As the name suggests, this is a much larger bin compared to Bissells. It has a 3.9L capacity.
(g) Vacuuming Test Results
There you have it, folks, a rundown of all the cleaning features of the Eureka PowerSpeed and Bissell CleanWave. Now, to give you a glimpse of the actual performance of the two vacuums, we put them through a series of stringent tests on different surfaces. Below are illustrations of our exclusive cleaning tests.
For a smooth cleaning experience, you need to get a vacuum with the best usability and controls. In this last section of this Eureka vs. Bissell comparison review, let’s check out everything about the usability of these two upright vacuums.
- The Bissell CleanWave 2252 may be a bulky vacuum cleaner, but it offers a seamless cleaning experience. With a 27ft power cord, it features a Swivel Steering that allows it to clean around, and under obstacles such as furniture. The wheels allow for smooth movement and transition from bare floor to carpets. An ergonomic plastic handle offers excellent grip, but then, it should have at least been rubberized for comfortable handling.
- When it comes to the Eureka PowerSpeed, at least it has a lightweight design, and more so, it comes with Swivel Steering. That means you can effortlessly push it around furniture and even bend it to reach under furniture. The wheels are also ideal for smooth movement and transition from different surfaces. The handle is ergonomic, just like the one that Bissell comes with.
There you have it, a comparison review of Bissell vs. Eureka upright vacuums for pets. So, what’s the best bang for the buck? Well, the two upright vacuums offer almost the same level of performance.
But there are a few talking points that should inform your purchase decision. The Eureka PowerSpeed is a great deal if you are looking for a cheap and affordable vacuum with a lightweight design and a large dustbin capacity. But then, its construction is not as robust as Bissell’s. On the other hand, Bissell is a great deal if you want powerful suction, courtesy of the lossless suction design. It’s also from a reputable brand. But then, it’s heavier and a little bit more expensive.